Here is the tracklist and source list for my Woodstock set. Bear in mind that I have edited together stage announcements and performances from various sources to give the most complete "build" of this material currently possible. Multiple sources have varying sound qualities, varying levels of hiss ect. I have chosen not to de-hiss much of the material as my personal preference is "purist" and because of the extremely variant opinions about hiss reduction techniques. I have, however, speed corrected everything!!
Everything I could find recorded from the Woodstock stage is here.
BY WAY OF INTRODUCTION... by Scott Parker
To put it mildly, the assemblage of materials required to compile the definitive record of the music performed at Woodstock is mind-boggling. Over the course of 4 years of research and many attempts at compilation, I have found myself becoming far more intimately acquainted with the events and the participants (performers and audience alike) than I ever felt I would be. My fondest hope is that this project TAKES YOU THERE to that muddy field near White Lake over that hot August weekend in 1969. I think it succeeds.
Obviously a project of this magnitude involves the assistance of A LOT of people. There are people out there I may have traded a piece of tape with 10 years ago whose names I have forgotten over time. if you are among them, thank you. Couldn'ta done it without cha. Honest.
Thanks most especially to:
Kees: Who compiled the first authoritative list of Woodstock performers and setlists, and continues to be an inspiration as perhaps the world's foremost Woodstock expert. He continues to unearth new materials, and was a major contributor to this effort.
Darrin: Who maintains what is still one of the best Woodstock 1969 pages on the web at http://home.columbus.rr.com/woodstock1969. The first place I saw the Kees list, and a great resource.
Malcom: My old buddy, who traded me for a copy of the Who set 15 years ago and made me think that this might be possible!!
Debbie and the Vassmers of the Bethel Woodstock Museum in Kauneonga Lake, NY. I created this initially to contribute to their beautiful museum.
Brad and the good folks of the Woodstock 1969 group at Yahoo! groups. Hope you think this was worth the wait!!
Martin: A fellow Woodstock obsessive who contributed some great questions and pieces of info. Thanks again Martin!!
All the artists, promoters (hi AK!) and audience members who were THERE that weekend. This project is dedicated to you!!
Finally, to my good friend Kenny: you have been truly invaluable providing materials, facts, opinions, and a HUGE amount of help to The Project. Plain and simple: Without you, it just ain't Woodstock Complete!!
Thanks again all. Take a bow!!
A NOTE ON THE SOUND AND SOURCES:
First of all, let it be known that I'm looking for completeness in this project and not nescessarily great quailty (although a lot of souces are the best circulating). Some sources are muddy and some are noisy and I've left them that way. I'm not a huge fan of digital noise reduction as you will hear (especially on some of the film outtake souce material), but I'm sure you can EQ to suit your needs!!
I've used many different VCRs, CD players, cassette decks and turntables over the years in the compilation of this, and I've used CoolEditPro for editing. Some of the edits are a bit jarring, but I wanted EVERYTHING. Maybe someday someone will clean it all up a bit!!
Here's a look at the sources used:
Soundtrack LP: Although supplanted by several releases since (especially the 4-disc box) this is still a great document of the festival and gives you a real "you are there" sense. I have a soft spot for this as it's the first Woodstock music I ever heard, when my Brother-in-Law Rick brought a pirate Korean pressing home from his tour of duty in Vietnam in the mid-1970s. I've used this for a few more-complete sources and snippets of dialogue.
Box Set: The four-CD box set issued by Atlantic in 1994. concentrates on the music, and the best source for most Woodstock music. If you don't have it, get it!!
Director's Cut: The 1994 expanded version of Michael Wadleigh's 1970 classic documentary film. Again, if you don't have it, get it!! Even better on DVD :-)
B&W Video: A true find of recent years is the distribution of two hours of B&W video tape shot by a person (who possibly worked for the Jefferson Airplane) who had tremendous access to all areas of the Festival. Truly amazing to watch!!
Diary Video: Woodstock Diary a.k.a. The Lost Performaces is a brilliant 3-hour compilation of outtake festival footage, recently made available on DVD. As essential as the Director's Cut!!
Film Outtakes: About four hours of outtakes edited and converted to video in 1989, around the time of the editing of the Warner official Lost Performances video. I've never seen them in great quality, but essential nonetheless!!
Audience Tape: Just exactly that, an uber-rare compilation of performances made by two audience members. The Source of a number of great performances, and invaluable due to it's containing a performance by the Woodstock "Lost Artist", Keef Hartley.
Cycles CD: A CD compilation of the best of Sweetwater, and a great CD to have in your collection of this underrated Woodstock act. Contains "What's Wrong" from the Festival.
At Woodstock Fetival CD: Contains the entire Ravi Shankar perfomace from Friday night. Apparently hard to find, but great!!!
Woodstock Two LP: The sequel to the Film Soundtrack, focusing on the lost musical performances. Available on CD.
Lost Performances Video: An official Warner compilation of outtakes. Good for the time it came out (1989). Could be done better now I think. You listening, Warners?
Viva Santana CD: A Santana best-of, containing "Persuasion" from Woodstock.
Santana Remastered CD: Remastered CD of the first Santana album. Contains "Savor", "Fried Neckbones" and the longest version of "Soul Sacrifice" from the Festival.
Faithful Virtue Box: Great John Sebastian compilation from Rhino Handmade, containing his entire Woodstock set, complete and unedited. Wow!!
Soundboard Tape: A number of sets have surfaced from raw, unbalanced soundboard tapes, particularly of the Saturday night acts. Most are unedited. Kudos all around to those responsible for recording and leaking these!!
Multitrack Master: A very clean version of the Grateful Dead's set surfaced recently, sourced from the Multitrack Master tapes I think. In any case, it's amazing!! An alternate Soundboard also exists.
Blackstead Tapes MP3: From a website containing MP3 samples of Multitrack Tapes being sold by the estate of the Late Woodstock Soundtrack LP Producer Eric Blackstead. Just a few bits, but it helps to fill a few gaps!! The website no longer exists, and the tapes are believed to have been sold. Wonder who has them?
Jefferson Airplane Loves You Box: CD box-set "Best of" of the Airplane. Contains "Plastic Fantastic Lover" from Woodstock.
Acetate: A few bits are sourced from rare acetates, presumably from the Multitrack Masters.
Woodstock Diary CD: "Soundtrack" to the Diary video. Contains Joe Cocker's "I Shall Be Released".
The Life And Times Of CD: Country Joe and the Fish Best-of, containing a couple of rare Woodstocks cuts.
2 CD Hendrix At Woodstock: Experience Hendrix' attempt to present the complete Hendrix set. OK, and good quality, but edited.
1 CD Hendrix: Woodstock: Alan Douglas' 1-hour compilation of Jimi's set. Rare but worth it for containing Chip Monck's final Woodstock stage announcements.
Lots of effort went into the editing of this collection, and great care has been used to ensure accuracy, although accidents happen anyway. It has been an honor and a privledge to see this through to the end. Maybe someday we'll see a version 2.0?
Until then, thank you all. Now where did I put my video editing equipment? ;-)
1. Pre-Show Announcements (John Morris, Chip Monck and others) Sources: Soundtrack LP, Box Set, Director's Cut, B&W Video, Diary Video
2. John Morris/Richie Havens Intro Sources: Film Outtake, B&W Video
3. High Flyin' Bird Source: Film Outtake
4. Unknown song Source: B&W Video
5. I Can't Make It Anymore Source: Film Outtake
6. With A Little Help From My Friends Source: Film Outtake
7. Strawberry Fields Forever/Hey Jude Source: Film Outtake
8. Handsome Johnny Source: Box Set
9. Freedom Source: Box Set
10. Stage Announcements: Doctor Request, There Goes Marilyn!, Source: Director's Cut
11. Stage Announcements: John Morris Free Festival Speech Sources: Director's Cut, Soundtrack LP, B&W Video
12. Swami Satchidananda Speech Source: Director's Cut, B&W Video
13. Day Song Source: B&W Video
14. Motherless Child Source: Audience Tape
15. What's Wrong Source: Cycles CD
16. Jennifer Source: Film Outtake
Tim Hardin: ††††† †††††††††††
17. If I Were A Carpenter/John Morris Outro Source: Box Set, Diary Video
Ravi Shankar: Source: At Woodstock Festival CD
1. Raga Puriya-Dhanashri/Gat In Sawarital
2. Tabla Solo In Jhaptal
3. Raga Manj Kmahaj
††††††††††††††††††††††† Alap Jor
††††††††††††††††††††††† Dhun In Kaharwa Tal
††††††††††††††††††††††† Medium & Fast Gat In Teental
4. Beautiful People/John Morris Outro Source: Woodstock Two LP
5. Birthday Of The Sun Source: Film Outtake
6.John Morris Intro/Coming Into Los Angeles/Lotta Freaks Rap Source: Box Set, Diary Video, Director's Cut
7.Walking Down The Line Source: Box Set
8. Amazing Grace Source: Film Outtake
1. John Morris/Joan Baez Intro-Joe Hill Source: Woodstock Diary, Director's Cut, Box Set
2. Sweet Sir Galahad Source: Box Set
3. Drug Store Truck Driving Man Source: Box Set
4. Swing Low Sweet Chariot Source: Director's Cut
5. We Shall Overcome Source: Lost Performances Video
6. John Morris End Of Friday Announcement Source: Director's Cut
7. Hugh Romney Rap: The First Free City In The World! Source: Director's Cut, Audience Tape
8. Let's Make It Work! (Tom Law Yoga Excecises) Source: Audience tape, Director's Cut
9. They Are With Us! (John Morris US Army Rap) Source: Director's Cut
10. George Broke His Arm Source: Director's Cut
11. John Morris Thanks Abbie Source: Diary Video
12. John Morris Intro/They Live The Life Source: Diary Video, Audience Tape
13. BBY Source:
14. Waitin' For You Source: Diary Video, Audience Tape
15. Chip Monck/Country Joe Intro Source: Film Outtake
Country Joe McDonald
16. Janis Source: Film Outtake
17. Rockin' All Around The World Source: Film Outtake
18. Flyin' High All Over The World Source: Film Outtake
19. Seen A Rocket Source: Film Outtake
20. Fish Cheer/I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixing-To-Die-Rag Source: Box Set
22. Waiting Source: Audience Tape
23. You Just Don't Care Source: Audience Tape
24. Persuasion Source: Viva Santana CD
25. Savor Source: Sanata Remastered CD
1. Soul Sacrifice Source: Sanata Remastered CD
2. Chip Monck Intro/Fried Neckbones Source: Sanata Remastered CD
3. Stage announcements buried under dialogue Source: B&W video
4. Chip Monck Announcement-Your Wife Is Having A Baby Source: Director's Cut
John B. Sebastian
5. Chip Monck-John Sebastian Intro/How Have You Been Source: Faithful Virtue Box
6. Rainbows All Over Your Blues Source: Faithful Virtue Box
7. I Had A Dream Source: Faithful Virtue Box
8. Darlin' Be Home Soon- Chip Monck/John B. Sebastian Intro Source: Faithful Virtue Box
9. Younger Generation Source: Faithful Virtue Box
10. Cousin Al Is Sick Source: Audience Tape
Keef Hartley Band
11. Spanish Fly Source: Audience Tape
12. Faint Stage announcements under ISB tuning Source: B&W Video
Incredible String Band††††††††††††
13. Invocation Source: B&W Video
14. The Letter Source: Film Outtake, B&W Video
15. This Moment Source: Film Outtake
16. When You Find Out Who You Are/Chip Monck Outro Source: Film Outtake, Diary Video
1. Chip Monck Intro/A Change Is Gonna Come-Leaving This Town Source: Lost Performances Video, Box Set, Film Outtake
2. Going Up The Country Source: Director's Cut, Soundtrack LP
3. Woodstock Boogie Source: Diary Video, Woodstock Two LP
4. Chip Monck Intro Source: Woodstock Two
5. Stormy Monday Source: Soundboard Tape
6. Theme From An Imaginary Western Source: Soundboard Tape
7. Long Red Source: Soundboard Tape
8. For Yasgur's Farm Source: Soundboard Tape
9. You And Me Source: Soundboard Tape
10. Waiting To Take You Away Source: Soundboard Tape
11. Dreams Of Milk And Honey Source: B&W Video
12. Southbound Train Source: Woodstock Diary CD
13.Stage Problems Announcement Source: B&W Video
Grateful Dead (all tracks sourced from original Multitrack Master!! gaps in St. Stephen filled in by alt. Soundboard tape)
1. Ken Babbs/Chip Monck Intro-St. Stephen
Grateful Dead (track sourced from original Multitrack Master!! gaps in Lovelight filled in by alt. Soundboard tape)
1. Mama Tried
2. Equipment Failure And Stage Raps
3. Dark Star
4. High Time
5. Turn On Your Lovelight
Creedence Clearwater Revival Source: Soundboard Tape EXCEPT as noted
1. Chip Monck Intro/Born On The Bayou Source: Soundboard Tape, Blackstead Tapes MP3 File
2. Green River†
3. Ninety-Nine And A Half (Won't Do)†
6. Bad Moon Rising
7. Proud Mary
8. I Put A Spell On You
9. Night Time Is The Right Time
10. Keep On Chooglin'
11. Suzy Q
Janis Joplin Source: Soundboard Tape
1. Chip Monck Intro/Raise Your Hand
2. As Good As You've Been To This World
3. To Love Somebody
5. Try (Just A Little Bit Harder)
6. Kosmic Blues
7. Can't Turn You Loose
8. Work Me Lord/Chip Monck Intro
9. Piece Of My Heart
10. Ball and Chain
Sly & The Family Stone Source: Soundboard Tape From "Down On the Farm" CD
1. Chip Monck Intro/MíLady
2. Sing A Simple Song
3. You Can Make It If You Try
4. Everyday People/Dance To The Music
5. Music Lover
6. I Want To Take You Higher
7. Love City NOTE: Edited out mistaken repeat from CD
The Who Source: Soundboard Tape EXCEPT where noted
1. Chip Monck Intro/Heaven And Hell
2. I Can't Explain
3. It's A Boy
5. Amazing Journey
7. Eyesight To The Blind
9. Acid Queen
10. Pinball Wizard
11. Abbie Hoffmann Incident
12. Fiddle About
13. -There's A Doctor I've Found
14. Go To The Mirror Boy
15. Smash The Mirror
16. I'm Free
17. Tommy's Holiday Camp
18. We're Not Gonna Take It
19. See Me Feel Me
20. Summertime Blues
21. Shakin' All Over/Chip Monck Intro/Pete Townshend Intro
22. My Generation-Naked Eye/Chip Monck Outro Source: Soundboard Tape, Soundtrack LP
1. Doctor Request/Chip Monck Intro/Grace Slick Intro Source: Diary Video
2. The Other Side Of This Life (segments only) Source: Director's Cut, Audience Tape
3. Plastic Fantastic Lover Source: Jefferson Airplane Loves You Box Set
4. Volunteers Source: Box Set
5. Saturday Afternoon/Won't You Try Source: Box Set
6. Eskimo Blue Day Source: Woodstock Two LP
7. Uncle Sam's Blues Source: Box Set
8. Somebody To Love Source: Box Set
9. White Rabbit Source: Box Set
10. Breakfast Time Source: Director's Cut
11. Muskrat Reads The Times Source: Soundtrack LP
12. Taking A Break Source: Soundtrack LP, Diary Video
13. Max Yasgur Source: Director's Cut
14. John Morris IntroSource: Diary Video, Box Set, Film Outtake
15. Something's Coming On Source: Acetate
16. Dear Landlord Source: Audience Tape
17. I Shall Be Released Source: Woodstock Diary CD
18. Let's Go Get Stoned Source: Box Set, Film Outtake
19. With A Little Help From My Friends Source: Box Set
1. No Rain! Source: Director's Cut, Diary Video, Soundtrack LP
2. Stage Announcements/Crowd Rain Chant Source: Director's Cut
3. Let The Sunshine In Source: Woodstock two LP
Country Joe & The Fish
4. Chip Monck Intro/Rock And Soul Music Source: Box Set
5. Thing Called Love Source: Diary Video
6. Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine Source: Film Outtake
7. Chip Monck Intro/Love Machine Source: The Life And Times Of CD
8. Fish Cheer/I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixing-To-Die-Rag Source: The Life And Times Of CD
Ten Years After
9. I'm Going Home Source: Directors Cut, Soundboard Tape
The Band Source: Soundboard Tape EXCEPT where noted
1. Chip Monck Intro/Chest Fever
2. Baby Don't Do It
3. Tears Of Rage
4. We Can Talk
5. Long Black Veil
6. Don't You Tell Henry
7. Ain't No More Cane Source: Acetate
8. This Wheel's On Fire Source: Acetate
9. Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever Source: Box Set
10. The Weight Source: Box Set
11. Mama Talk To Your Daughter Source: Blackstead Tapes MP3
12. Rock Me Baby Source: Blackstead Tapes MP3
13. Mean Town Blues Source: Box Set, Film Outtake
Blood Sweat And Tears
14. Chip Monck Intro/More And More Source: Film Outtake
15. Something's Coming On/More Than You'll Ever Know Source: Film Outtake
16. Spinning Wheel Source: Film Outtake
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
1. Suite Judy Blue Eyes Source: Box Set
2. Blackbird Source: Film Outtake
3. Helplessly Hoping †Source: Film Outtake
4. Guinnevere Source: Box Set
5. Marrakesh Express Source: Box Set
6. 4 + 20 Source: Box Set
7. Mr Soul Source: Film Outtake
8. Long Time Gone Source: Film Outtake
9. Sea Of Madness Source: Soundtrack LP
10. Wooden Ships Source:
11. Find The Cost Of Freedom Source: Box Set
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
1. All In A Day Source: Blackstead Tapes MP3
2. All My Love Comin' Through To You Source: Film Outtake
3. Drifting Blues Source: Film Outtake
4. Love March Source: Box Set
5. Everything's Gonna Be Alright Source: Woodstock Two LP, Film Outtake
1. Teen Angel Source: Film Outtake
2. Wipe Out† Source: Film Outtake
3. Who Wrote The Book Of Love Source: Film Outtake
4. Duke Of Earl Source: Film Outtake
5. At The Hop/Na Na Theme Source: Soundtrack LP, Box Set
Jimi Hendrix Source: Soundboard Tape EXCEPT where noted
1. Chip Monck Intro/Introduction Source: Soundboard Tape, 2 CD Hendrix At Woodstock
2. Message To The Universe Source: Audience Tape
3. Getting My Heart Back Together Again
4. Spanish Castle Magic
5. Red House
6. Master Mind
7. Here Comes Your Lover Man
8. Foxy Lady
9. Jam Back At The House
Jimi Hendrix Source: Soundboard Tape EXCEPT where noted
2. Gypsy Woman
4. Voodoo Child (slight return)/Stepping Stone
5. Star Spangled Banner
6. Purple Haze
7. Woodstock Improvisation/Villanova Junction
8. Hey Joe
9. Final Stage Announcements By Chip Monck Source: 1 CD Hendrix Woodstock
Walking Around††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Eleanor Rigby††††††† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††I'm Your Dream
10. A Ride To Michigan (Furthur Bus, Friday Afternoon?) Source: Film Outtake (MOVE TO LAST DISC)
11. The Red Shoes (Furthur Bus, Friday Afternoon?) Source: Film Outtake†††††††† (MOVE TO LAST DISC)††††† †††††††
Jerry Garcia And Friends (Backstage, early Friday evening): MOVE TO LAST DISC!!
16. Wish I Could Be The Rain Source: Film Outtake
Blood Of The Sun (NOTE: Apparently NOT recorded at Woodstock, but at another unknown venue)